2011 Recruitment Counselors

2011 Recruitment Counselors

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Andrea Holzwarth: Alpha Phi


Hi everyone! I am Andrea Holzwarth, Vice President of Marketing for Alpha Phi Sorority! I am so happy that you have come to this blog to find out what being Greek really means to some members!

Two years ago when I came to Wichita State, formal recruitment was the last thing on my mind. I was so busy worrying about where my classes were, how I was going to adjust to living in the dorms with a roommate, making new friends along with many other worries.

One night some girls on my floor were talking about a recruitment informational they were going to. Eventually, they talked me into going with them. As we trekked across the campus, the only thing I kept thinking was this is going to be a waste of my time. I knew I didn’t want to go Greek. Going Greek to me meant that I would eventually be a dumb blonde who didn’t care about anything except the way I looked.

As I l walked into the informational, the first thing I realized was the stereotypical girls were no where in sight.  When the Recruitment Coordinator started talking, I decided I might as well give her a chance and listen. After all, I was stuck in the room for the next hour anyway.

What I heard in the next hour really changed my perception of Greek life at WSU. The Recruitment Coordinator talked about the NO HAZING policy and how Greeks have a higher average gpa then non Greeks at WSU. She also talked about how much love she had for her sisters and her chapter.

She sold me! As I left the room, I knew I was going through recruitment. As soon I got back to the dorms, I applied online for formal recruitment!

I could hardly wait the two weeks until recruitment started. I wanted to join right then!

As formal recruitment rapidly approached, I was so excited to see all the chapters and to meet all the women!

After the first night of house tours, I knew I had made the right decision by going through recruitment. As we went to each Chapter House, I was surprised by how kind and caring the women were!

The second and third nights flew so quickly; they are still somewhat of a blur to me.  On Preference Night, I was torn between two chapters. They were both outstanding chapters; they had amazing women and they each had a great sisterhood!

As I walked to the Rhatigan Student Center on Sunday night to write down my choice, I didn’t know which chapter I was going to choose. I decided I needed help. I went to my Rho Gamma; she was amazing. She sat with me for at least 30 minutes talking my decision over. As I went into the computer area, I knew I had made my decision.

That night I was a bundle of nerves; I could barely sleep! I was so excited for Bid Day!

When we met in Hubbard Hall on Bid Day, I could feel the nervous energy in the room. One hundred girls sat around me all anxiously awaiting their envelopes seeing which Chapter they would call their sisters.

When I opened my envelope and saw Alpha Phi, I was ecstatic! I ran outside to grab my poster along with my new sisters!

Two years after my Bid Day, I still feel that excitement every time I am able to say I am Greek. Being Greek has changed me into a more compassionate and caring person. Without going through formal recruitment my freshman year, I have absolutely no idea where I would be today.

I highly encourage you to learn more about formal recruitment and sign up! Be yourself and have fun!  I hope to see you on the first night of recruitment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment