2011 Recruitment Counselors

2011 Recruitment Counselors

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Courtney Looney: Delta Delta Delta


Hi everyone! My name is Courtney Looney and I’m the current Vice President of Chapter Development for Delta Delta Delta here at Wichita State. I know that at this point in your life you may be searching for something to make your college experience one you can remember for a lifetime. But you also may be questioning whether or not Greek life is the true answer. My solution? It never hurts to take a leap of faith and try it. Throughout my time as a Tri Delta at WSU, I have served many roles, including the president of my chapter during my sophomore and junior years. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that sort of responsibility to be placed on my shoulders. The lessons I have learned through my leadership opportunities are hard to describe on paper, but if you’re willing to take the chance to experience Greek life, you will find that the Greek women at Wichita State value academic excellence, morals and values, sisterhood, community service and much more. The best part about this rewarding experience is that you get to share it with women who have the same passions as you do.
Tri Delta has given me the drive to always work harder and want to achieve more than I believe is possible. Without joining the Greek community at WSU, I’m not sure where I would be today. To be honest, WSU would probably not be in my life anymore had I not gone through Formal Recruitment during my freshman year. I have grown a substantial amount not only in leadership and academics, but socially, as well. To get me to talk to a stranger four years ago would’ve been impossible. Ask me to do that today, and I will happily jump right on it. The choice to go through Formal Recruitment may not seem like a huge deal right now in your life, but if you were in my shoes, you could see just how influential it has been to me. That being said, everyone is blessed to have their own experience as a Greek woman and that is what makes Wichita State Greek life unique and rewarding.
 It’s hard for me to imagine that in less than five months, my time as a collegiate member of Tri Delta will be ending. I’m graduating a semester early this December and am moving onto the big, scary “real world.”  At this point in my life, I can’t imagine not being part of the Greek community (sorry about the double negative, but I’m sure you get the point J). I have devoted my heart and soul to Tri Delta while being a Shocker. I gave up many things in order to be where I am today in terms of my leadership within my chapter, but in the end, I know it has all been worth it. Without Tri Delta and the WSU Greek system, I never would’ve found the true potential in myself that I am proud to say reflects in my daily life.
Formal Recruitment is an exciting time in your college life and I hope you can push your nerves aside and realize that if Greek life is calling you, it could potentially change your life in more ways than you can imagine. Take pride in your individuality and truly show who you are to the amazing Greek women at WSU during Formal Recruitment.  We wouldn’t want you any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment