2011 Recruitment Counselors

2011 Recruitment Counselors

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bria Cherney: Gamma Phi Beta

     Hello there! My name is Bria Cherney, a senior member and Chapter Relations Chairwoman of Gamma Phi Beta. Whether you are already 100% committed to becoming a Greek or if you are still checking it out and trying to determine if it's for you, I would like to congratulate you for taking your first step towards joining a community devoted to devoloping its members. If you are hesitant, that's okay! I would just like to tell you a little bit about my first year of college and why I have never regretted going Greek.

     I remember the first call I received from the recruitment coordinator the summer before my freshman year. She was trying to sell me on how great Greek life is and how many friends I would make and how much fun I would have. All the while, I was thinking, "But what about the drama? What about the stereotypes?" I thought that in order to be in a sorority, you had to be a stick-thin, fake girl with big blonde hair. (I was none of those things.) So, I didn't go through recruitment. I figured I would make enough friends through living in the residence halls and going to class. Well guess what? I didn't. I found out that I am not very good at introducing myself to people and striking up friendships. I was close with my roommate and suitemates, but that was about it. I didn't have much of a social life..at least not the kind I would have liked.

     I had learned my lesson. I went through formal recruitment my sophomore year and dived in as a new member. I played intramurals, participated in campus traditions like Shocktoberfest and Hippodrome, and was elected into an office. Some of my sisters have become very close friends, but what's cool is that some of my closest friends are from other Chapters. I took advantage of the opportunities to attend national leadership conferences, and through my offices, have grown substantially as a leader. I learned that Greek life here at Wichita State is nothing like you see in the movies. If you still have doubts, I encourage you to at least go through formal recruitment. Find out what we're all about and make some friends along the way. It is a huge commitment (like a lifetime), but it is one I have never once questioned. I sincerely hope to see you in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment